Recipe Source: Simply Delicious
Pizza has a long history. It used to be flatbreads with toppings, which were commonly consumed by the ancient Egyptians, Romans, and Greeks. However, the famous pizza we’ve grown to love now originated in southwestern Italy’s Campania region, home to the city of Naples. These Neapolitans required inexpensive food that could be consumed quickly. This need is satisfied by pizzas and flatbreads with a variety of toppings that are eaten for any meal and are available from street vendors or informal restaurants. These early pizzas, consumed by poor Naples, featured the tasty garnishes and toppings we love today, such as tomatoes, cheese, oil, anchovies, and garlic.
Pizza Toast for Your Pizza Cravings!
If you’re craving pizza, you should try this quick and simple pizza toast recipe! This recipe has all the delicious pizza flavor without the hassle of making pizza dough. You can use any kind of bread, such as sourdough or wheat loaf, and then top it with any topping!
The great thing about this recipe is that you can easily change the toppings according to your taste. Use your creativity! This pizza toast recipe is an excellent way for you to use up whatever vegetables or leftovers you have in the fridge.
It only takes 5 minutes to make this delicious pizza toast! Continue reading below to see the full recipe.
How to Make a Pizza Toast?
4-8 slices of bread of your choice, toasted
1-2 cups grated mozzarella
Toppings of your choice
1 cup pizza sauce
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cups tomato puree
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp olive oil
Cheese: Goats cheese, feta, parmesan,
Vegetables: Spinach, mushroom, onion, bell pepper, zucchini
Cooked Meat: Chicken, beef, pepperoni, shrimp, bacon
Fruit: Pineapple, mango
Sauce: BBQ sauce, Japanese mayo, pesto
For Pizza Sauce:
- Combine all the ingredients:1 teaspoon oregano, 2 cups tomato puree, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp sugar, 1 tsp oregano, and 2 tsp olive oil in a large bowl and mix it well.
- Store for later use.
For Pizza Toast:
- Pre-heat the grill of your oven.
- Place the toast on a baking sheet and add a generous spoonful of pizza sauce. Then spread it with the back of the spoon to the edges.
- Top with a handful of grated mozzarella followed by the toppings of your choice.
- Sprinkle over a little oregano.
- Place in the oven and allow it to cook until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- If you don’t want to make your own pizza sauce, try to use the best quality one you can buy, as you really will be able to taste the difference. But the homemade fresh sauce is always the best!
- Make sure to squeeze any excess liquid out of the fruit or vegetable you will use to prevent the pizza toast from getting soggy.
- A little drizzle of virgin olive oil really finishes off the pizza toasts nicely.